Procedures for Nomination
- Nominations and self-nominations may be made only by ACTFL members.
- The nomination dossier must include the following documents (in order):
- A simple cover letter introducing the nominee and the other dossier materials to follow, signed by a nominating ACTFL member.
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate (not to exceed 10 pages).
- No more than three letters of support clearly explaining the rationale for the choice of this individual (from colleagues, students, or others who have benefited from the nominee's teaching and/or contributions).
- Other supporting documentation not to exceed 10 pages (e.g., photos, artifacts from teaching, evidence of leadership, etc.) that documents evidence of excellence in teaching, research and service at the local, state, regional, national, and international levels (see rubric for specific criteria and indicators).
- Complete nomination dossiers must be submitted to ACTFL in one PDF file by the deadline.
- No member or officer of the ACTFL Board of Directors may write a letter of support for any award nominee or actively shepherd the nomination of an award candidate.
- No member or officer of the ACTFL Board of Directors, or contracted employee is eligible for nomination for any award while holding these positions.
Criteria for Eligibility (Checklist)
- The Nominee is a current ACTFL member.
- The candidate has a minimum of five years teaching experience with at least half of each year's assignment in the area of world language education.
- Dossier includes introductory cover letter, CV, maximum of three letters of support, and supporting documentation combined in one PDF file.
Procedures for the Selection Committee
- The award selection committee will be chaired by a member of ACTFL, who will be appointed by the ACTFL Past President. The chair will serve in a non-voting capacity.
- As soon as possible after the deadline for submission of nominations, the Committee Chair will circulate copies of the nomination dossiers to members of the committee.
- Committee members rate and rank the dossiers using the rubric and return their ratings and rankings to the Committee Chair by the date specified.
- At the discretion of the Committee, the award may or may not be presented during a given year.