PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED
Personal data collected by ACTFL generally includes an individual’s name, home and/or institution address, phone number, fax number, and email address. It may also include date of birth, certain demographic information, and, in the case of financial transactions, credit card and billing address information.
Technical information like user IP addresses, operating system, and websites visited before and after the ACTFL website may also be collected by ACTFL and/or ACTFL’s service providers. This type of information does not identify the user personally.
PERSONAL DATA AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTED
We employ the use of third-party analytics tools to measure web traffic and usage. This type of information does not identify the user personally.
HOW PERSONAL DATA IS COLLECTED
ACTFL collects personal data under various circumstances. Most common are when an individual:
- Joins ACTFL or renews a membership;
- Updates one's online member profile;
- Registers for the Annual Convention or similar in-person event;
- Registers for a virtual learning module or other online offering;
- Downloads information from the ACTFL website;
- Applies to become certified under one of ACTFL’s certification programs;
- Purchases a publication or product;
- Participates in the ACTFL Online Community;
- Uses the ACTFL Connect App
HOW PERSONAL DATA IS PROCESSED
Personal data of individuals may be used for several purposes. Among them are:
- Membership administration, including billing and fee collection;
- Provision of member benefits;
- Delivery of products and services;
- Management of subscriptions;
- Communication of ACTFL events, products, services, offerings, benefits and opportunities;
- Direct marketing;
- Member and customer data analysis;
- Development of directories; and
- Product and services customization and development.
LEGAL BASIS FOR COLLECTING AND PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA
There are several legal bases for ACTFL’s collection and processing of personal data:
- For the legitimate interests of ACTFL, including the several uses listed above;
- To perform a contract;
- Based on consent; and
- Legal compliance.
THIRD PARTIES WITH WHICH PERSONAL DATA MAY BE SHARED
ACTFL may share personal data with several other parties. These include:
- Sponsors of ACTFL activities;
- Exhibitors at ACTFL’s Annual Convention;
- Publishers of ACTFL publications;
- Cloud service providers;
- Service providers who perform functions such as marketing, research, shipping and fulfillment; and
- Vendors partners, such as insurance and credit card companies.
ACTFL also may share personal data in the event of a merger or asset sale/purchase transaction, and as required by law.
SITE OF PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
Personal data of individuals collected by ACTFL may be stored and processed in the United States, Europe, or any other country in which ACTFL, its vendors, or partners maintain facilities. ACTFL generally collects and processes personal data in the US. In the event personal data is collected in the EU and is then transferred to the US or is transferred to any other country outside of the EU, ACTFL will do so because there is a legal reason, such as to perform a contract, or to achieve a legitimate interest of the organization.
Personal data may be retained by ACTFL for so long as necessary or useful to pursue the legitimate interests of ACTFL. Other factors may include: the duration of the business or contractual relationship between ACTFL and an individual; archiving of historical information; and legal requirements, including limitations periods during which a legal claim might be brought.
ACTFL has put in place reasonable technical, physical, and administrative safeguards to protect personal data. Examples of these safeguards are storing personal data in secure, offsite facilities, limiting access to personal data to those employees who need access to fulfill their responsibilities, and providing training on responsible handling of personal data.
INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS REGARDING PERSONAL DATA
Individuals generally have the right to access their own personal data and to request that ACTFL correct any errors or incompleteness in their own personal data. The contact information provided below should be used for these purposes. There is also a limited right to request deletion of personal data. Such requests also should be directed to the designated contact.
Individuals may opt-out of receiving additional information about third-party products and services by checking or unchecking the appropriate boxes during and after the ACTFL online account creation process.
Individuals may also unsubscribe from email communications by clicking an “unsubscribe” link present in all ACTFL broadcast emails. NOTE: Unsubscribing from ACTFL email communication will not stop delivery of messages critical to administration of membership such as dues renewal notifications.
Attention: Member Services
1001 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 894-2900 | email@example.com
last updated date (5/8/18)