American Sign Language Casting Call
Seeking users of ASL for video project
PROJECT: ACTFL is casting performers in multiple on-camera roles for a series of assessment videos for high school learners of American Sign Language (ASL).
ROLE 1: Video Chat Partner
- The performer will sign a passage of ASL that simulates a video conversation between themselves and a student who is learning the language.
- 1 performer who appears to be between the ages of 12-18 (young adults who appear to be high school age may qualify for the high school role).
ROLE 2: Information Signer
- The performers will sign passages in ASL for a video which test takers will watch in order to answer sets of questions.
- 2 adult performers 18 years of age or older.
ROLE 3: Teacher
- The performer will sign passages in ASL for a video that simulates a teacher giving instructions to the test taker.
- 1 adult performer 18 years of age or older.
To be considered for one of these roles, the performer must:
- Be a highly fluent user of ASL (including clear sign production and able to be readily understood by users and learners of ASL).
- Deaf and hard of hearing performers are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Be available for rehearsal(s) with an ASL expert who will help guide you. The ASL expert will also be on set during filming.
- Be comfortable in front of a camera and be able to take direction from a language expert.
- Be friendly, approachable, and engaging on camera. (Theatrical or acting background is not necessary, but helpful.)
- Any gender and ethnicity is welcome.
DATES & LOCATION:
- Anticipated filming dates: January 15-31 (exact scheduling to be determined closer to the filming dates).
- Filming will be in person in Alexandria, VA. Applicants in the D.C./Baltimore/Richmond areas are preferred.
- Health and safety protocols may be implemented as needed in order to comply with guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
- ROLE 1: $900 for up to nine hours of in-person filming and a 90-minute rehearsal via Zoom.
- ROLE 2: $900 for up to nine hours of in-person filming and a 90-minute rehearsal via Zoom.
- ROLE 3: $900 for up to nine hours of in-person filming and a 90-minute rehearsal via Zoom.
- The performer is required to practice and memorize the script on their own prior to the scheduled filming date.
- Theatrical permits are required for actors under the age of 16. Parents must fill out and mail the appropriate forms. Instructions on the process will be provided.
- For actors under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must sign a permission form in advance, be present during a one-hour rehearsal via ZOOM, and be present during the in-person filming.
If interested in auditioning for this role, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following information:
- Your name
- Your current age
- Which role you would like to audition for. Can apply for multiple roles if desired.
- The town/city you live in
- If under 18, please cc/copy your parent/guardian on the email
If a role is still available, we will reply with additional information. For questions, please email email@example.com.