- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
- Want to Publish with ACTFL?
- All Available Books
- All Available eBooks
- High-Leverage Teaching Practices
- Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment
- Raising Global Children
- The Keys to Assessing Language Performance
- The Keys to Planning for Learning
- The Keys to the Classroom
- Words and Actions
- ACTFL Publication Proposal Form
- ACTFL SmartBrief
OPIc Rater Certification
The OPIC is an internet delivered test which provides valid and reliable oral proficiency testing on a large scale. It was developed in response to the increased worldwide demand for the testing of oral language proficiency. The computer delivered assessment emulates the ‘live’ OPI, but delivery of questions is through a carefully designed computer program, and via a virtual avatar. Thus the test can be taken on demand and at a time convenient to the candidate and proctor.
ACTFL OPIc Rater Training can be acquired through participation in an ACTFL 4-day Rater Training workshop which may be scheduled at various times throughout the year (scheduled on an as-needed basis according to testing volume and rating activity at ACTFL Testing Office). Please contact us to be listed for recruitment in the next ACTFL OPIc Rater Training Workshop.
Pre-requisite for attending the Rater Training:
- As a certified ACTFL OPIc Rater, you will rate OPIcs from your home computer. A high-speed (not dial up) connection is required. You will complete tests as an independent contractor and as assigned by the ACTFL’s designee, Language Testing International (LTI).
- All OPIc Raters must have Superior-level proficiency in the language in which they will rate. If you are not a native speaker of the language, with all your higher education completed in the target language, then it will be required that you take a telephone OPI to establish your language proficiency. This will be arranged for you prior to attending the workshop.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Teaching, testing, tutoring, writing, translating, copy editing or similar experience required.
During the workshop trainees will:
- Become familiar with the OPIc.
- Understand, internalize, and apply the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines 2012—Speaking.
- Recognize and apply the Assessment Criteria for each of the major levels: N, I, A, S.
- Recognize the major levels and sublevels.
- Assess whether a response meets or does not meet the targeted level of a task.
- Must complete the OPIc rater certification application form.
- There is a $75.00 fee to apply for rater certification.
The Certification process:
- Rate practice round of 50 OPIc samples. Get official ratings and feedback.
- Rate 20 certification round samples. No official ratings.
- Extra rounds given as needed.
- Rater certified or retraining required.
Awarding of certification:
- OPIc Rater Certificate is issued.
- OPIc Rater Certification is issued for 4 years.
- Raters will be asked to participate in benchmarking and norming activities to maintain rating reliability.