- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
AAPPL Rater Certification
The ACTFL Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL) is unlike any other assessment. AAPPL Measure addresses the World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages and uses today’s communication media in which test takers perform tasks such as participating in a virtual video chat, creating wikis, e-mailing, and using apps to demonstrate language ability.
ACTFL AAPPL Rater Training can be acquired through participation in an online course which may be scheduled at various times throughout the year. AAPPL Raters are trained on an as-needed basis according the volume of AAPPL testing at the ACTFL testing office, Language Testing International (LTI). Qualified individuals may contact the Rater Recruiter at: email@example.com to be considered for future Rater training and certification opportunities.
NOTE: AAPPL Rater Certification is only awarded in the languages in which AAPPL Measure is currently offered, including: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and ESL
Pre-requisite for becoming a Rater:
- As a certified ACTFL AAPPL Rater, you will rate AAPPL tests from your home computer. A high-speed (not dial up) connection is required. You will complete tests as an independent contractor and as assigned by the ACTFL’s designee, Language Testing International (LTI).
- All AAPPL Raters must have Advanced- Mid proficiency in the language in which they will rate. If you are not a native speaker of the language, with all your higher education completed in the target language, then it will be required that you take a telephone OPI to establish your language proficiency. This will be arranged for you prior to attending the workshop.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Ideal candidates will have a background in proficiency assessments and preference is given to candidates with a teaching background.
The training course:
All self-guided training will occur online. You will be sent instructions and login information for the AAPPL Training course, and are required to complete all activities. Training activities are estimated to last approximately 10-15 hours. AAPPL raters are responsible for applying the AAPPL Rating Criteria (ARC) to Interpersonal (Listening & Speaking) and Presentational (Writing) responses elicited by the AAPPL Assessment.
- Become familiar with the AAPPL
- Understand, internalize, and apply the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines 2012—Speaking.
- Recognize and apply the Assessment Criteria for each of the major levels: N, I, A, S.
- Assess whether a response meets or does not meet the targeted level of a task.
The Certification process:
- Complete online practice round- see results
- Attend online meeting as needed with AAPPL Rater trainer
- Complete certification round
- To be certified, a rating reliability of 80% should be demonstrated in both the ILS and PW Certification Rounds
Awarding of certification:
- AAPPL Rater Certificate is issued.
- Raters will be asked to participate in benchmarking and norming activities to maintain rating reliability.