- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
- Want to Publish with ACTFL?
- All Available Books
- All Available eBooks
- High-Leverage Teaching Practices
- Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment
- Raising Global Children
- The Keys to Assessing Language Performance
- The Keys to Planning for Learning
- The Keys to the Classroom
- Words and Actions
- ACTFL Publication Proposal Form
- ACTFL SmartBrief
ACTFL Mentee Application
The goal of the ACTFL Mentoring Program is to help early career language educators succeed in their current assignments and learn the skills to be successful language educators.
Mentors and mentees are matched based upon language, level, and location as best as possible. In making the match between a mentor and a mentee we look at the environment in which the participants teach, the needs of the mentee, and the skills of the mentor. The introductory meeting should take place by phone or Skype, after which the mentor and mentee will determine the best form and frequency of communication for them both. It is expected that most communication will take place by e-mail and at a minimum once a month.
Once accepted into the program you will be asked to complete a more detailed self-assessment to help your mentor know you better and facilitate your introductory phone call.
Mentors and mentees who find themselves attending the same conference, being in the same city are encouraged to get together.
We realize that the dynamics of any relationship can be very complicated and unseen factors can affect the success of this relationship. As a successful mentoring program depends greatly on the relationship between the mentee and the mentor, either the mentee or the mentor may ask ACTFL to reassign them if the relationship isn’t beneficial. We ask that participants give the relationship a minimum of three (3) months before asking to be reassigned.
Eligibility for mentees:
- Must be within 5 years of first teaching assignment. Exceptions can be made for special circumstances; please include an explanation of the circumstances with your application.
- Must be a current ACTFL member and must maintain ACTFL membership for the duration of the program.
All mentoring relationships will last for one (1) school year.