Procedures for Nomination
- Nominations and self-nominations may be made only by ACTFL members.
- The nomination dossier must include the following documents (in order):
- A simple cover letter introducing the nominee and other dossier materials to follow, signed by an ACTFL member.
- No more than three letters of support clearly explaining the rationale for the choice of this nominee.
- Other supporting documentation not to exceed 10 pages (e.g., photos, artifacts from teaching, evidence of leadership, etc.) that documents evidence of the use of outstanding community-engaged learning experiences within the world languages curriculum, including a rationale for the experiences and how they have helped students attain the goals of the course (see rubric for specific criteria and indicators).
- Complete nomination dossiers must be submitted to ACTFL in one PDF file by the deadline.
- No member or officer of the ACTFL Board of Directors may write a letter of support for any award nominee or actively shepherd the nomination of an award candidate. If a dossier packet is resubmitted that contains a support letter written prior to the establishment of these guidelines, that letter will be removed from the packet by the Committee Chair.
- No member or officer of the ACTFL Board of Directors, or contracted employee is eligible for nomination for any award while holding these positions.
Criteria for Eligibility (Checklist)
- Dossier includes introductory cover letter, maximum of three letters of support, and supporting documentation combined in one PDF file.
Procedures for the Selection Committee
- The award selection committee will be chaired by a member of ACTFL, who will be appointed by the ACTFL Past President. The chair will serve in a non-voting capacity.
- As soon as possible after the deadline for submission of nominations, the Committee Chair will circulate copies of the nomination dossiers to members of the committee.
- Committee members rate and rank the dossiers using the rubric and return their ratings and rankings to the Committee Chair by the date specified.
- At the discretion of the Committee, the award may or may not be presented during a given year.
- The Committee will select up to three programs to recognize, and programs may receive this recognition only once every four years.