Submitting an Application
Individuals who have completed an OPI Assessment Workshop within the last 30 days may apply for OPI Tester Certification:
1. Online: Access the online certification application. (Login required)
2. By mail, fax or email: Download the PDF application, complete it, and send to:
ACTFL – OPI Tester Certification
1001 North Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Fax: (703) 894-2905
For assistance or questions, attend one of our weekly online office hours, visit the FAQ page or contact us.
Application fees for ACTFL OPI Tester Certification are non-refundable except under extenuating circumstances that are approved by ACTFL and provided that no portion of the certification process has already been initiated by the applicant. Cancellation notices must be submitted in writing or by email within 45 days from original notice of processing of the application. If approved by ACTFL, a $50.00 processing fee will be deducted from the application fee to issue a refund to the applicant.
OPI Certification Phases
Once your application for certification has been approved, certification activities take place in four phases.
- Phase 1 - Listen & Rate Activity: Complete listen and rate activities that will allow candidates to compare their ratings to official ACTFL ratings. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to appropriately apply the ACTFL Speaking Proficiency descriptors to the rating process in order to move on to phase 2.
- Phase 2 - Guided Interviews: Candidates conduct live mentor-guided Oral Proficiency Interviews. This phase is designed to provided candidates with detailed feedback on elicitation techniques. Candidates must be able to apply mentor feedback during phase 3.
- Phase 3 - Independent Interviews: Candidates conduct OPIs at a variety of proficiency levels and sublevels independently; independent round interviews are submitted for review and feedback by the candidate’s mentor. Candidates must apply mentor feedback during phase 4.
- Phase 4 - Certification Interviews: Candidates conduct a last round of OPIs at mentor-specified proficiency levels. These OPIs will be evaluated and will determine whether a candidate is recommended for certification.
ACTFL OPI Tester Certification is awarded for a four-year period. At the end of that period, all testers must re-certify.
Personal OPI Scheduling and Results
Prior to application, candidate will be responsible for providing a current proficiency certificate. Candidates have the option to purchase the Personal OPI directly through Language Testing International (LTI) advisory OPI through their institution. If an advisory OPI is obtained initially, the advisory OPI must then be sent to LTI for second-rating and certification via the Candidate Institutional Upgrade program. A copy of your proficiency rating certificate must be attached to your application in order to be accepted into the program.
To obtain a personal OPI certificate, please schedule your assessment through LTI. For instructions on how to purchase an OPI assessment please click here or contact LTI at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.