The application to become a certified AAPPL Rater is now open. ACTFL is currently seeking candidates proficient in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
Successful applicants will be invited to pursue Certification as an AAPPL Rater by completing an online certification course, beginning mid-January 2023. The Certification is a 4-week course including approximately 20 hours of material. It is largely self-paced through online modules, but opportunities for synchronous interaction (e.g., web-based meetings or webinars) will be made available. The application deadline is Sunday, December 4, 2022.
Prerequisite for Becoming a Rater:
- ACTFL-certified AAPPL raters will rate AAPPL tests from their home computers. As such, a high-speed (not dial up) connection is required.
- All AAPPL raters must demonstrate a minimum proficiency of Advanced - Mid in the language in which they will rate. If a rater is not an L1 speaker of the language, with all higher education completed either in the target language or by majoring/specializing in that language, then an OPIc will be required to document the rater’s language proficiency. This will be arranged by ACTFL prior to enrollment in the AAPPL certification workshop.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Ideal candidates have a background in proficiency assessment and preference is given to candidates with language teaching experience.
The AAPPL Certification eCourse:
The AAPPL Certification Course is an online course, which includes self-guided modules along with synchronous and asynchronous activities and meetings. The AAPPL Certification eCourse is a four-week course and includes an estimated 20-25 hours of material.
The Certification Process:
- Complete all self-guided modules
- Attend ACTFL-hosted synchronous online AAPPL Familiarization Workshop sessions
- Attend virtual office hours hosted by an AAPPL Quality Assurance Advisor as needed
- Successfully complete the practice and certification rounds of rating of Interpersonal Listening & Speaking (ILS) along with Presentational Writing (PW) samples
The Role of an AAPPL Rater
- Ability to apply the AAPPL rating criteria to the AAPPL rating process to make sound rating judgments
- Availability to serve as a rater (LTI-paid consultant) – particularly during the busiest periods of the year (mid-March through early June and November through early December)
- Rate ILS and PW samples accurately, reliably, and in a timely manner
- Participate in norming sessions to prepare for the two busiest rating periods and in readiness activities to maintain the rating standards between busy periods
- Be responsive to AAPPL quality assurance (QA) advisors for your language(s), as well as to ACTFL and LTI staff in support of rating and QA activities
Maintaining AAPPL Certification
Once a rater is certified, they maintain their certification under the following circumstances:
- The rater maintains an active rating record
- The rater maintains an acceptable interrater reliability rate
- The rater participates in the two ACTFL-hosted readiness events: an annual norming (December/January) and the mid-year refresher event (August/September)
- The rater attends ACTFL-hosted virtual office hours, benchmarking activities, or focused re-norming activities based on the needs of the rater