ACTFL is casting actors in on-camera roles to perform in a series of world language assessment videos for middle school and high school learners. Videos will be made in each of these languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, and Spanish.*
Casting Call for Video Project
Be a world language star!
Multiple roles are available in each language.
The performers will read a script that simulates a video chat between themselves and a student who is learning the language. See demo: https://aappl2demo.actfltestin...
To be considered for one of these roles, the performers must:
- Be a Native or Heritage speaker of one of the specified languages above. (Native speakers learned to speak the language of the place where he or she was born. Heritage speakers use the language at home but may have been primarily educated in English.)
- Be able to read aloud lengthy and complex passages in the specified language using a teleprompter. No memorization is required. Performance will be entirely in the specified language.
- Appear to be between the ages of 12-18 (young adults who appear to be high school age may qualify for the high school role). Any gender and ethnicity.
- Be comfortable in front of a camera and be able to take direction from a language expert.
- Be friendly, approachable, and engaging on camera. (Theatrical or acting background is not necessary, but helpful.)
- Be vaccinated against COVID 19. (Exemptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
Dates and Location
- Filming dates: One 3-hour block approximately between March 1 and April 15, 2023 (exact scheduling to be determined closer to the filming dates).
- Filming will be in person in Alexandria, VA, so local applicants are preferred (D.C./Baltimore/Richmond areas).
- COVID-19 safety protocols will be strictly followed for in-person filming.
- $300 for up to three hours of in-person filming and a one-hour rehearsal via Zoom. The performer is required to practice the script on their own prior to the scheduled filming date.
- Theatrical permits are required for actors under the age of 16. Parents must fill out and mail the appropriate forms. Instructions on the process will be provided as needed.
- For actors under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must sign a permission form in advance, be present during a one-hour rehearsal via ZOOM, and be present during the in-person filming.
If interested in auditioning for this role, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following information:
● Your name
● Your current age
● The language you speak
● The town/city you live in
● If under 18, please cc/copy your parent/guardian on the email
If a role is still available, we will reply with additional information. For questions, please email email@example.com.
*For a translation of this document in any of the 11 languages listed above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.