- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
- Want to Publish with ACTFL?
- All Available Books
- All Available eBooks
- High-Leverage Teaching Practices
- Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment
- Raising Global Children
- The Keys to Assessing Language Performance
- The Keys to Planning for Learning
- The Keys to the Classroom
- Words and Actions
- ACTFL Publication Proposal Form
- ACTFL SmartBrief
June 27-29, 2017
Niles North High School
Skokie, IL (Chicago Area)
What is LILL?
The Leadership Initiative for Language Learning (LILL) seeks to:
- empower individuals to become agents for change,
- foster a growth mindset focused on effective teaching and learning, and
- purposefully nurture leadership skills, all in the service of learners.
LILL’s summer initiative is based on the premise that every educator is a leader and strives to be highly effective. For language educators, effectiveness is demonstrated by evidence of learners’ growth in proficiency, including their growth in interculturality. This initiative aims to bring the best and brightest language educators, teacher leaders, and national experts to explore this issue and others important to you and the language organization naming you as an Emerging Leader. As an Emerging Leader, you will have the opportunity to discover your sphere of influence for effecting change, engage with peers, and create your own proactive plan to grow in your effectiveness as a leader and language teacher.
Why Experience the LILL Summer Institute?
Share And Learn
Interact with emerging leaders and “veteran” leaders.
Engage with teacher presenters as they share their ideas and lead discussions.
Focus on your organization’s area(s) of interest to celebrate successes and discover new strategies for improvement.
Practice And Grow
Examine leadership strategies.
Collaborate in small and large groups.
Determine ways to apply these strategies in emerging leadership roles.
Plan And Act
Create your personal plan to support your organization’s goal(s).
Identify your leadership spheres of influence and design ways to share your learning.
Share your plan with other participants and use their feedback to refine your plan.
Interested in attending?
To be nominated to attend, you must be selected by your state, regional, or national professional organization. Contact your professional language organization for more details on how to be nominated as an Emerging Leader (to fill one of 50 Emerging Leader slots). Not sure which org you belong to? View the Organizational Members of ACTFL for more details. (preference given to those with active memberships in the designated organization).
When and Where?
June 27-29, 2017
- Arrive by noon on Tuesday, June 27
- LILL Summer Institute runs through Thursday, June 29, 3:00 PM
- Niles North High School, 9800 Lawler Avenue, Skokie, IL
- Website and Directions: http://www.niles-hs.k12.il.us/north/contact-us-directory
- 30 minutes from O’Hare International Airport (Chicago – ORD)
Cost and Registration
Know before you go!
The institute fee ($200) sustains our work and includes:
- All institute materials and on-site presenters
- Lunch and snack breaks (June 27, 28, and 29)
- Dinner on June 27
These expenses are NOT included in the institute fee and are your responsibility:
- Single/King Bed: $149/night plus tax
- Double Occupancy (Queen): $149/night plus tax
- Breakfasts included
- 5-minute walk from the institute
- Dinner on June 28
- Airfare or driving costs to and from the institute
Pre-Institute Book Study (TBD, est. $20-50)
Do not book hotel arrangements until you receive confirmation of your acceptance to the institute
You MUST book a hotel prior to May 28th to receive the book-room rate
You will be provided a registration link in the confirmation email you receive from ACTFL. To register, be ready to fill out the following information:
- Affiliation – Company, institution, school, university, or organization
- Contact email
- Special Dietary Needs
- There is no difference in fees for being a Member or a Non-Member (Ignore “Registration Class”)
- Payment information for the $200 institute fee
Who is Coming?
Language educators (Pre-K through Postsecondary)
- A leader who demonstrates the following characteristics:
- Energy, positivity, and a growth mindset (in plans, projects, or tasks)
- Self-confident, self-starter and self-motivator
- Commitment to and ownership in the organization
- Potential to expand one’s sphere of influence outward
- Risk-taker interested in growing in expected and unexpected ways
- Grit and perseverance when confronted with an obstacle, problem, or issue
- Creativity, new perspectives, and innovation in developing solutions
- To be nominated to attend, you must be selected by your state, regional, or national professional organization. Contact your professional language organization to find out if you could be nominated as their emerging leader (to fill one of 50 Emerging Leader slots). View the Organizational Members of ACTFL for more details.
Leadership Initiative for Language Learning is a collaborative project of the following partners:
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (CSCTFL)
- National Association of District Supervisors of Foreign Languages (NADSFL)
- National Council of State Supervisors for Languages (NCSSFL)
- National Network for Early Language Learning (NNELL)
- Northeast Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (NECTFL)
- Pacific Northwest Council for Languages (PNCFL)
- Southern Conference on Language Teaching (SCOLT)
- Southwest Conference on Language Teaching (SWCOLT)
- Teacher Effectiveness for Language Learning Project (TELL)
- Representation from Modern Language Association (MLA)