- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
- Want to Publish with ACTFL?
- All Available Books
- All Available eBooks
- High-Leverage Teaching Practices
- Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment
- Raising Global Children
- The Keys to Assessing Language Performance
- The Keys to Planning for Learning
- The Keys to the Classroom
- Words and Actions
- ACTFL Publication Proposal Form
- ACTFL SmartBrief
ACTFL Research Priorities
Call for 2017-2018 Research Project Proposals
DEADLINE Thursday, June 1, 2017, 5:00 PM ET
The purpose of the ACTFL Research Priorities Project is to support empirical research on priority areas that are currently critical to improving foreign language education. Proposals can initiate a new research study, support/expand a study under way, or explore an emerging research area that is connected to one or more Research Priority areas. The research grants are funded by ACTFL. Below each priority area is a list of sample research topics; research studies need not be limited to these topics.
Preference will be given to proposals that focus on the cognitive developments of language learning.
Research Priority Area #1: Integration of Language, Culture, and Content
- Content-based instruction
- Interdisciplinary approaches
- Immersion/dual language and other innovative programs
- Heritage language programs
Research Priority Area #2: Foreign Language Teacher Development
- Model teacher preparation programs
- Mentoring/professional engagement
- Preparing foreign language teachers for urban/rural settings
Research Priority Area #3: Classroom Discourse
- Use of L1and L2
- Interactional practices
- Dialogic inquiry
Research Priority Area #4: High-Performing Language Programs
- Profiles of effective PK-16 teachers
- Profiles of effective PK-16 classrooms
- Research-informed practices and/or assessment
- Evidence-based decision making
Research Priority Area #5: Language Use in the Community
- Service learning
- Study abroad
- Research Priority Area #6: Research on Practice in K-16 Settings
- Assessment of learning outcomes associated with an instructional practice
- Learning in blended and online contexts
When is the deadline? The deadline for proposals is June 1, 2017 at 5 pm.
Who can apply? ACTFL members may submit one application as a first author and be listed as a second or third author on one additional application.
What will happen next? The Research Priorities Task Force will review proposals and select projects. Applicants will be informed of the selections by August 1, 2017 Selected studies will receive a grant of up to $2,500 from ACTFL to help defray some of the research costs. Recipients are expected to apply to present their research at ACTFL 2018 and agree to grant Foreign Language Annals right of first refusal of any articles that emerge from the research.