- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
- Want to Publish with ACTFL?
- All Available Books
- All Available eBooks
- High-Leverage Teaching Practices
- Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment
- Raising Global Children
- The Keys to Assessing Language Performance
- The Keys to Planning for Learning
- The Keys to the Classroom
- Words and Actions
- ACTFL Publication Proposal Form
- ACTFL SmartBrief
Criteria for Nominations — President-Elect and Board Positions
Any member organization of ACTFL may suggest nominees for the Board. The nominee must be a member of ACTFL in good standing for the previous three years. Nominations are typically accepted in the Spring. Each potential nominee must be supported by a letter of endorsement from the governing body of a member organization. The position for which the nominee is proposed must be specified.
I. The ACTFL President shall:
Name the members of the Nominating Committee at least two months prior to the commencement of the work of the Committee for the year.
II. The Nominating Committee shall:
- Select the candidates for each office from nominations submitted to it by the membership and through the active recruitment of persons qualified to run for these offices, based on the following qualifications:
- membership in ACTFL and have been in good standing for the previous three years
- background and suitability of the individual for the position
- for President-Elect, whether the nominee has served on the ACTFL Board of Directors or in another leadership capacity within ACTFL or an affiliated organizational member
- Seek balance and fairness of representation. Such factors as the following must be considered:
- geographical area
- professional contributions
- level(s) of instruction
- Perfect balance and fairness in all factors may be difficult to achieve at a given time. Therefore, it may be necessary to provide this broad range of representation by a rotation process.
- Nominate at least two persons for each office.
III. The Board and Executive Director shall:
- Inform the ACTFL membership, both individuals and member organizations, as well as the delegates to the ACTFL Assembly, of the schedules for the nomination and election of the President-Elect and Board members
- Provide a job description for each position;
- Inform all nominees selected by the Nominating Committee to stand for election of the responsibilities they will assume if elected;
- Assist the Nominating Committee in meeting deadlines.
- Any member organization of ACTFL may suggest nominees. The nominee must be a member of ACTFL in good standing for the previous three years.
- Each potential nominee must be supported by a letter of endorsement from the governing body of a member organization. The position for which the nominee is proposed must be specified.
- Each candidate’s credentials must also be submitted. Credentials include:
- a brief, current curriculum vitae certified as accurate by the candidate;
- a statement of the candidate’s willingness to be nominated and to serve if elected;
- a recent photograph submitted electronically will be requested of the candidate for inclusion in the pre-election issue of The Language Educator or the ballot mailing.
- Please Note: Salaried or otherwise compensated (stipends or honoraria) employees of regional associations, for-profit organizations and corporations are not eligible for nomination for an elected position on the ACTFL Board or for President-Elect.