- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
General Services Administration (GSA) Schedule
General Services Administration, or GSA, provides a streamlined process for the government to purchase products and services through pre-approved vendors at pre-negotiated prices. To be an approved vendor under GSA, companies and organizations must go through a rigorous application, screening and approval process. If approved, the vendor is awarded a GSA “contract” and is placed on a GSA Schedule or list of approved vendors for the particular category of product or service it offers, i.e. industrial products, office products, professional services, etc.
GSA eligible buyers (Federal agencies, State departments, local agencies, international organizations, and other eligible users) may purchase products and services directly and/or submit requests for proposals (RFPs) from GSA vendors without going through a public RFP bidding and selection process.
ACTFL was awarded a GSA Schedule, contract GS-10-F-0220T, for April 11, 2007 through April 10, 2017. ACTFL is listed under Schedule 738 II – Language Services, SIN 382 3.
Through our GSA Schedule (PDF), ACTFL provides vision, leadership and support for language learning, training and testing for Federal and State government agencies.
ACTFL offers oral proficiency testing in more than 100 languages and writing proficiency testing in more than 20 languages. We provide testing and rating according to both the ACTFL and the government’s Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) proficiency scales. The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI), ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview-computer (OPIc), and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) are recommended for college credit by the American Council on Education (ACE). ACTFL OPI and WPT are recognized by a number of State certification boards for teacher licensure. Language Testing International, Inc. (LTI) is the exclusive licensee of ACTFL and administers all ACTFL proficiency and performance tests. Learn More
ACTFL Training Programs
ACTFL provides training and professional development workshops on a multitude of language teaching and assessment related subjects. The key workshops offered include Oral Proficiency Assessment, Performance Assessment, Setting Standards, Teaching Communication Skills, Curriculum Design, and Teaching Challenges related to Developing Language Proficiency. Learn More
ACTFL’s team of experts can provide a detailed task analysis to determine the desired level of language needed for a given position and provide an education on test procedures and accurate interpretation of proficiency ratings. We can also review your methodology and techniques for training employees or wide ranging curriculum development and implementation issues. Learn More
ACTFL Past Performance – A long history of success for the U.S. Government
Language Proficiency Testing
Conduct oral proficiency testing and rating according to the government’s Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) proficiency scale in more than 100 languages.
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center
- Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Patrol
- Department of Homeland Security Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- Department of Defense - NSEP (IIE/NSEP, Flagships, ACIE-NY, ROTC)
- National Language Service Corps
- National Security Education Program
- United States Military Academy
- State Department - Critical Language Studies
- Department of Education - AK, AR, CT, DE, FL, GA, KS, MD, ME, NC, NJ, PA, TX, UT, VA, VT, WY
Test Development and Research
Develop tests and testing protocols as well as conduct test development research.
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center - Created a version of ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview-computer (OPIc®) for use by DLI.
- Tri-Services Academies - Developed Reading and Listening Tests in Spanish.
- NATO - Developed NATO Benchmark Advisory Tests in English in 4 skills for use across NATO and PfP nations.
- Foreign Language Assistance Program - Operationalized nationwide foreign language assessment system based on AAPPL below.
- STARTALK - Developed more stratified metrics for the Novice and Intermediate levels to rate student performance after instructional programs of short duration.
- United States Military Academy- Developed pro-chievement tests at Intermediate level in 8 languages.
- Department of Education International Research and Studies - ACTFL Assessment for Performance towards Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL), a framework assess performance in languages on a national scale across K-12.
- Foreign Language National Assessment for Educational Progress (FLNAEP) - Framework for the first national assessment of foreign languages.
Test Review and Validation
Review test material and assist with test validation piloting.
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center - Review of and validation assistance for the Defense Language Proficiency Tests (DLPT).
Training and Professional Development
Conduct training and professional development workshops as well as design language training tools.
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center - Tester training, norming, and quality assurance protocols for ILR oral proficiency testing.
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center Continuing Education - Combat interpreter/translator course material in designated strategic languages.
- National Security Education Program Language Flagship - Revisions of tester training materials in Arabic.
- United States Military Academy - Arabic testing consensus building initiative.
- STARTALK - Teacher training program for teachers in Chinese and Hindi.
- Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center - “Diagnostic Helps” for moving for L2+ to L3.
- Peace Corps - Video and audio training materials.
Conduct task analysis for evaluation of required language level and other consulting services.
- Air Force Special Operations Command
- Naval Special Warfare
- Special Operations Command
- United States Postal Service
Learn more about ACTFL GSA services: