- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
Foreign Language Annals
Background and Content
Foreign Language Annals is the official refereed journal of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) and was first published in 1967. The journal seeks to serve the professional interests of classroom instructors, researchers, and administrators across a range of contexts and is dedicated to the advancement of the teaching and learning of foreign languages, particularly languages other than English. It is published four times per year.
The journal welcomes submissions that report empirical research on, and that have clear and significant implications for, foreign language teaching and learning at all levels of instruction. The journal also welcomes manuscripts that advance theoretical discussions in foreign language education as well as manuscripts that document the effectiveness of teaching strategies or address a wide variety of emerging issues of interest within the profession.
- Only original works that have not been previously published elsewhere and that are not under consideration by any other publication may be submitted for review.
- All submissions must be written in standard English, in a style that is accessible to a broad readership of foreign language researchers, educators, and administrators.
- Book reviews, literature reviews, anecdotal reports of teaching strategies or activities, and opinion pieces are not accepted.
- If the topic of a submission focuses on English as a foreign language (EFL), it should be written in such a manner that all language professionals could benefit. Manuscripts focusing solely on English as a second language (ESL) will be returned without review.
- Foreign Language Annals seeks to represent a broad range of researchers and perspectives. Authors who have previously published as a single or first author in Foreign Language Annals may submit subsequent manuscripts such that, if accepted, 12 months will elapse between publication dates. This restriction does not apply to second or subsequent authors.
- Foreign Language Annals does not accept multiple simultaneous submissions from the same author.
- Preference will be given to papers that address substantive issues, demonstrate expert use of research methods, and report new qualitative or quantitative data that have strong implications for standards-based, proficiency-oriented teaching and learning of languages.
Authors are invited to submit their work using the journal’s online management system. More than 175 manuscripts are submitted to the journal each year; approximately 15% of the submissions are selected for publication.
Editor, Managing Editor and Editorial Board
The Editor of Foreign Language Annals is Anne Nerenz, Eastern Michigan University, and the Managing Editor is Michael Everson.
In addition to the Editor and Managing Editor, the members of the journal’s Editorial Board are:
Mary Curran, Rutgers University
Delores Durán-Cerda, Pima Community College
JoAnn Hammadou Sullivan, University of Rhode Island
Audrey L. Heining-Boynton, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Raquel Oxford, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Yoshiko Saito-Abbott, California State University, Monterrey Bay
James Sweigert, Western High School, Baltimore, Maryland
Paul D. Toth, Temple University
Joseph A. Wieczorek, Anne Arundel County Public Schools, Maryland
Heather Willis Allen, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Sue-mei Wu, Carnegie Mellon University
Circulation and Audience
All of ACTFL’s more than 12,000 members receive Foreign Language Annals as a benefit of membership. In addition, more than 1,000 academic libraries subscribe to Foreign Language Annals. Only institutional subscriptions are available to nonmembers.
|Annual Subscription||The Americas||UK||Europe (non Euro zone)||Europe (Euro zone)||ROW|
|Institutional: Online Only||$308||£ 158||€ 199||€ 199||$406|
|Institutional: Print + Online||$354||£ 183||€ 229||€ 229||$467|
|Institutional: Print Only||$308||£ 158||€ 199||€ 199||$406|
Subscriptions contact: To subscribe to Foreign Language Annals, please contact Wiley-Blackwell’s customer service office by phone at: (781) 388-8206 or (800) 835-6770 (toll-free for customers in North America), by fax at: (781) 388-8232, or by email at: email@example.com.
Permissions contact: Please refer questions to Wiley-Blackwell’s rights and permissions department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Authors
Authors should carefully review the Author Guidelines to ensure that both the content and format of their work are appropriate for this journal, then submit the abstract, manuscript and accompanying files using the ScholarOne Manuscripts™.
Information for Reviewers
The Editor and Editorial Board welcome individuals who would like to review for the journal. To be added to our list of reviewers, please carefully consider the Reviewer Guidelines, then register as a reviewer at: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/Foreign Language Annalsjournal. The voluntary work of reviewers is acknowledged in the spring issue of the journal and letters of appreciation recognizing reviewers’ service to the profession are also sent.
Previous editors of Foreign Language Annals include:
C. Edward Scebold