- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
WPT Rater Certification
The ACTFL WPT is a proctored, standardized test for global assessment of functional writing ability, measuring how well a person writes in a language by comparing the performance of specific writing tasks with the criteria stated in the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines 2012 – Writing. The WPT measures how well a person writes spontaneously; without resources, such as a dictionary, grammar text, Internet, etc. Tests are double rated and an official ACTFL WPT certificate is issued to the candidate.
ACTFL WPT Rater Training can be acquired through participation in an ACTFL WPT 2-Day Rater Training Workshop which must be scheduled by your institution. If this is not an option then you may be able to attend an ACTFL sponsored WPT Rater training (there are no dates currently scheduled for 2014).
Pre-requisite for attending the Rater Training:
- Must be a certified ACTFL OPI tester in good standing.
- Must be a current member of ACTFL.
During the workshop trainees will:
- Become familiar with the WPT.
- Understand, internalize, and apply the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines 2012—Writing.
- Recognize and apply the Assessment Criteria for each of the major levels: N, I, A.
- Recognize the major level targeted by a writing task.
- Assess whether a response meets or does not meet the targeted level of a task.
- Must complete the WPT rater certification form.
- There is a $75.00 fee to apply for rater certification.
The Certification process:
- Rate practice round WPTs. Submit to ACTFL. Get official ratings and feedback.
- Rate certification round WPTs. Submit to ACTFL for review.
- Extra rounds given as needed.
- Rater certified or retraining required.
Awarding of certification:
- WPT Rater Certificate is issued.
- WPT Rater Certification continues for 4 years as long as OPI tester certification is current.