- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
Training & Certification
Who are the OPI Testers?
ACTFL Certified Testers are specialized language professionals who have completed a rigorous training process and have met the criteria established for certification by ACTFL. They represent a critical resource to their academic institutions and to the foreign language profession in general. ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) Tester Certification is a highly-valued professional credential that is recognized nationally and internationally.
The awarding of certification as an ACTFL OPI Tester is validation of one’s understanding of the principles and concepts of oral proficiency testing and of one’s ability to apply theory to practice. Certification as an ACTFL OPI Tester acknowledges a tester’s ability to elicit and rate oral proficiency interviews with a high degree of reliability.
ACTFL Certified Testers:
- Measure student and program outcomes through Advisory testing.
- Provide Advisory testing that can be upgraded to official status through the Academic Upgrade option.
- Assist colleagues in setting program goals and evaluation program outcomes.
- Conduct OPIs within their own academic institutions for internal purposes such as placement, graduation requirement, research, and program evaluation.
- May also conduct official ACTFL testing through the ACTFL Testing Office.
ACTFL offers two levels of tester Certification. ACTFL Testers with Full Certification are authorized to conduct and rate ACTFL OPIs across all proficiency levels. Testers with Limited Certification are authorized to conduct and rate ACTFL OPIs only at the Novice and Intermediate levels. ACTFL OPI Tester Certification is valid for a maximum of four years, at the end of which all testers must recertify to maintain Certification. Certification is available only to ACTFL members.
Some resource materials and online training courses are available on ACTFL's Learning Management System, Sakai LMS, which is located at https://actfl.longsight.com.