- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
Proficiency & Assessment Workshops (OPI, WPT)
ACTFL is the world’s most trusted resource for expert-led professional development workshops on language teaching and testing. Institutions of higher learning, public and private school districts and the U.S. Government turn to ACTFL when they need reliable, expert-led professional development for language educators at all levels of instruction for language teaching and testing. With more than 30 years of proficiency tester training and language assessment experience, ACTFL Professional Development workshops are your best choice.
ACTFL Workshops are led by nationally recognized experts who specialize in the specific content areas. All of the workshops described can be scheduled by individual institutions and/or school districts. They can be offered on-site at a time that is determined by the host institution.
ACTFL Proficiency Workshops:
Since 1982, ACTFL has conducted Oral and Writing Proficiency Interview Workshops for teachers of Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish and many others. More than 20,000 language professional have participated in these workshops.
The benefits of participation in these workshops are many. As a result of these professional development experiences educators are better able to:
- apply key principles of teaching and testing for proficiency to curriculum, instruction, and assessment practices
- establish program goals in terms of performance outcomes
- determine student placement, progress, and performance
- articulate within and across language programs
ACTFL offers a range of proficiency training workshop options:
- The OPI Familiarization Workshop (1 day)
- The OPI Familiarization & Implications Workshop (2 days)
- Full OPI Assessment Workshop (4 days)
- Modified OPI Assessment Workshop (MOPI) (2 days)
- The ACTFL Writing Proficiency Guidelines Familiarization Workshop (1 day)
THE OPI FAMILIARIZATION WORKSHOP (1 DAY)
Intended for all language professionals. Can be customized to address specific needs
This one-day workshop is an introduction to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines, ACTFL Rating Scale, and the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview. Participants observe and rate live demonstration interviews by the trainer. They discuss the implications of proficiency for academic and professional purposes.
On-Site: $1,250 Trainer, travel, hotel, and per diem additional
THE OPI FAMILIARIZATION AND IMPLICATIONS FOR INSTRUCTION WORKSHOP (2 DAYS)
This workshop is designed as an introduction to proficiency concepts, the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines, and the interview as an assessment tool. The workshop includes viewing of recorded interviews conducted by a trainer in English or the common language of the group. Day 1 includes the rating scale, interview structure and elicitation techniques. Day 2 deals with the implications of the OPI on classroom instruction and as a model for curriculum development and lesson planning. Prochievement testing is also discussed.
On-site: $2,250 Trainer, travel, hotel, and per diem additional
FULL OPI ASSESSMENT WORKSHOP (4 DAYS)
Prerequisite: Affiliation with an academic institution as defined by ACTFL, undergraduate degree in a related field, minimal proficiency level of Advanced in the language training.
This four-day workshop is an introduction to the techniques of administering and rating the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). Participants observe and conduct live practice interviews across all proficiency levels (Novice through Superior). They critique and discuss interview elicitation, structure, and rating. Participation in a Full OPI Assessment Workshop is the first step toward becoming an ACTFL Certified OPI Tester with Full Certification.
On-site: $4,900, INTERNATIONAL: $5,150 Trainer, travel, hotel, and per diem additional
MODIFIED OPI ASSESSMENT WORKSHOP (MOPI) (2 DAYS)
Prerequisite: Affiliation with an academic institution as defined by ACTFL, undergraduate degree in a related field, minimal proficiency level of Intermediate High in the language training.
This two-day workshop is an introduction to the techniques of administering and rating the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) at the Novice and Intermediate levels. Participants observe and conduct live practice interviews. They critique and discuss interview elicitation, structure, and rating. Participation in a Modified OPI Assessment Workshop is the first step toward becoming an ACTFL Certified OPI Tester with Limited Certification.
On-site: $2,950, INTERNATIONAL: $3,250
THE ACTFL WRITING PROFICIENCY GUIDELINES FAMILIARIZATION WORKSHOP (1 DAY)
Intended as an introduction to the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines – Writing (Revised 2012), this workshop introduces participants to the major and minor level descriptors and the criteria for assigning a global writing proficiency rating. Participants explore a variety of writing tasks across levels of proficiency, evaluate language samples based on the criteria as described in the Guidelines, and design appropriate writing activities and writing assessment prompts at the four major levels. Participants discuss the implications of the ACTFL Proficiency Scale for establishing program goals, and for planning curriculum.
HOW TO ARRANGE AN ACTFL ON-SITE WORKSHOP
- Email ACTFL or call (914) 963-8830 ext. 225 or email email@example.com to discuss/select the workshop(s) you wish offered in your school or district.
- Select at least two possible dates for the workshop(s). A lead-time of at least 2 months is required for most workshops.
- Your workshop(s) will be confirmed within 15 days.
- A letter of agreement confirming the topic, date, and location of the workshop(s) will be sent to you with the name and contact information for the workshop trainer. An invoice will accompany this letter of agreement.
- Contact the trainer to arrange travel, lodging and meals. In addition to the fee for the workshop, the sponsor is responsible for each trainer's travel, lodging, and meals as well as for the local arrangements and on-site costs. Travel includes travel to and from the trainer's home location to the host institution and all local travel. Trainers arrive the evening before the first day of the workshop and leave immediately after the conclusion of the workshop, based on travel availability. Therefore, one night of lodging (or possibly two nights) is required for one-day workshops.
OPI and MOPI Workshop FAQ
My entire World Language team (10 people) would need to go through this training together. We teach Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese and German. Do you do mixed language training for the same cost?
Yes, you can have up to ten people for the same price. Everyone can still apply for certification in language of their choice.
Do your presenters work on the weekends or do we need to schedule the entire training during the work week?
Absolutely! Any combination of any two, three or four successive days that work for you.
What is the difference between a two-day or three-day MOPI?
The 3-day has an expanded section of implications and applications for classroom instruction. Both workshops enable participants to apply for OPI Tester certification.
How would you like us to arrange payment?
ACTFL will send an invoice to you before the workshop and you can pay by credit card, check or money order.
Who books the flights, hotel, etc.?
Once you have contracted with ACTFL for a particular trainer and workshop, you will communicate directly with the trainer to make all travel and hotel reservations. You may book the hotel and flight directly for the trainer or ask them to do it and then reimburse them.
Are we required to get certified after the training or can teachers pursue certification on their own?
That is up to the individual workshop participant. Certification will be discussed at the end of each workshop and participants will have a month to decide whether or not to pursue certification.
Is there a cost for certification?
Yes, the fee is $300.00 per person. Please go to www.actfltraining.org for detailed certification information.