- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
Professional Development Workshops
The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) is the world’s most trusted resource for expert-led professional development workshops on language teaching and testing. Institutions of higher learning, public and private school districts and the U.S. Government turn to ACTFL when they need reliable, expert-led professional development for language educators at all levels of instruction for language teaching and testing. With more than 30 years of proficiency tester training and language assessment experience, ACTFL Professional Development workshops are your best choice.
ACTFL Workshops are led by nationally recognized experts who specialize in the specific content areas. ACTFL workshops may be scheduled by individual institutions, organizations, and/or school districts/university systems. They are provided on-site at the date(s) and time(s) determined by the hosting institution.
Since 1982, ACTFL has conducted Oral and Writing Proficiency Interview Workshops for thousands teachers of Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish and many others. More than 20,000 language professional have participated in these workshops around the world.
The benefits of participation in these workshops are many. As a result of these professional development experiences educators are better able to:
- apply key principles of teaching and testing for proficiency to curriculum, instruction, and assessment practices.
- establish program goals in terms of performance outcomes.
- determine student placement, progress, and performance.
- articulate within and across language programs.
Workshops on Curriculum, Instruction, and Performance Assessment
Contact Paul Sandrock to plan professional development customized to support the goals and needs of your language educators as well as of the program of your institution or organization. The most effective professional learning is ongoing, job-embedded, flexible, and participatory. Consider a combination of ACTFL on-site workshops, archived webinars, and coaching via videoconferences.
Workshops focused on:
- World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages
- Developing and assessing the three modes of communication
- Keys to Assessing Language Performance
- Keys to Planning for Learning: Effective Curriculum, Unit, and Lesson Design
- Implementing Integrated Performance Assessment
- Instructional strategies in content- and culture-rich environments, integrating technology in support of language learning
- Guiding learners from Novice to Intermediate, and Intermediate toward Advanced levels of performance