- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Professional Development
Professional Development Workshops
General Information and Workshop Descriptions
The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) is the world’s most trusted resource for expert-led professional development workshops on language teaching and testing. Institutions of higher learning, public and private school districts and the U.S. Government turn to ACTFL when they need reliable, expert-led professional development for language educators at all levels of instruction for language teaching and testing. With more than 30 years of proficiency tester training and language assessment experience, ACTFL Professional Development workshops are your best choice.
ACTFL Workshops are led by nationally recognized experts who specialize in the specific content areas. All of the workshops described can be scheduled by individual institutions and/or school districts. They can be offered On-Site at a time that is determined by the host institution.
In recognition of the expanding and multi-dimensional role of today’s foreign language educators, the workshop offerings of the ACTFL are organized around six strands (click below for description/fees for each strand):
- Strand A: Assessment (Read the OPI and MOPI Workshop FAQ)
- Strand B: Standards-based Instruction
- Strand C: Curriculum Design
- Strand D: The Second Language Learner
- Strand E: Technology
- Strand F: National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
How to Arrange an ACTFL On-Site Workshop
- Contact ACTFL at (914) 963-8830, ext. 225 to discuss/select the workshop(s) you wish offered in your school or district.
- Select at least three possible dates for the workshop(s). A lead-time of at least 2 months is required for most workshops.
- Your workshop(s) will be confirmed within 15 days.
- A letter of agreement confirming the topic, date, and location of the workshop(s) will be sent to you with the name and contact information for the workshop trainer. An invoice will accompany this letter of agreement.
Contact the trainer to arrange travel, lodging and meals. In addition to the fee for the workshop, the sponsor is responsible for each trainer's travel, lodging, and meals as well as for the local arrangements and on-site costs. Travel includes travel to and from the trainer's home location to the host institution and all local travel. Trainers arrive the evening before the first day of the workshop and leave immediately after the conclusion of the workshop, based on travel availability. Therefore, one night of lodging (or possibly two nights) is required for one-day workshops.
Several workshops described described are also offered as ACTFL Sponsored Workshops. Learn more about the dates, locations, and registration fees for ACTFL Sponsored Workshop offerings.