- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
Arlington Public Schools announces an opening for the position of Supervisor of World Languages in the Department of Instruction, effective immediately. This is a twelve-month administrative and supervisory position, Grade P-15, with a salary range of $92,203 to $136,483 (2014-2015 school schedule).
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK: The Supervisor of World Languages, who works under the general supervision of the Assistant Superintendent of Instruction, performs administrative and supervisory work related to designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating the general curriculum and instructional techniques for the delivery of the World Languages program in Arlington Public Schools. The Supervisor of World Languages is responsible for overseeing the instructional program on a county-wide basis, and observing and working with principals and teachers to improve instruction.
The work involves developing programs and plans in consultation with the Assistant Superintendent for Instruction, implementing programs independently and performing related duties as required or assigned. This includes all secondary foreign language electives, elementary, middle, and high school Spanish Immersion Programs, one elementary Primary Years IB Program, and the elementary Spanish Foreign Language in Elementary School (FLES) program.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK: (May not include all duties performed – These are intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Coordinates, supervises, or provides direction for a curriculum subject field program specialty; plans for and implements curriculum change through research, program assessment, budgeting, and discussions with teachers, administrators, and other central office staff members.
- Plans with other curriculum supervisors and principals, necessary procedures to establish and attain goals for the school system in concert with the Strategic Plan.
- Participates in the selection, training, and management of teachers involved in curriculum development and modification activities; participates in the selection, training, and management of teachers involved in textbook selection.
- Assists in the planning, organization and implementation of co-curricular and /or extra curricular activities related to assignment and observes/attends activities and events.
- Assists in management and coordination of summer school programs related to assignment.
- Orders and organizes tasks and materials, reviews and edits all work of curriculum development units; plans, coordinates, and implements summer school, after-school, and Saturday programs.
- As required, coordinates with Arlington County agencies and staff regarding activities/programs for which responsible.
- Assesses the best method of implementing each new program that is developed and plans and conducts staff development activities to implement each program; assists in instruction, planning, and implementation of experimental and/or specialized instructional programs for diverse populations.
- Collaborates with teachers, school-based administrators and other staff to plan and coordinate field trips and field experiences related to assignment.
- Coordinates mandated state and local assessment and testing programs.
- Develops and field tests procedures for revision of testing program; develops and/or revises test items; coordinates the administration of certain tests; interprets test results to ascertain student achievement and curriculum needs.
- Assists teachers and administrative staff in implementing programs, activities and curriculum related to the “inclusion” of students in general education classes.
- Organizes and conducts staff development activities, including county-wide in-service programs, involving both optional and required activities to improve student achievement.
- Participates, in collaboration with school-based and other non-school based staff, in the identification and selection of students eligible for program or program services for which responsible.
- Develops, manages, and monitors the budget for the subject area and supervises record keeping, payroll and time reports.
- Assists principals in the evaluation of subject area teachers; provides teacher specialist support and in-services when needed.
- Participates in PTA meetings and meetings of civic and professional groups as required or assigned; serves on APS committees related to assignment including the World Languages Citizens’ Advisory committee.
- Acts as the school system's expert and spokesperson in the field.
- Writes grant proposals, monitors the implementation of the grants and oversees the financial aspects of the budget.
- Serves as consultant and advisor on content and methodology for teachers, departmental chairpersons or team leaders, and school-based administrators.
- Supervises subordinate personnel, participating in supervision and evaluation of school-based personnel.
- Collaborates with neighboring school districts to plan, organize, and conduct joint staff development initiatives.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
Saturday, September 20, 2014