- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
Lower School Spanish Teacher
Park’s Modern Language Department emphasizes Oral Proficiency, taking as its primary objective that students will learn to speak and understand the foreign language well enough to communicate with a native speaker. At the same time, this priority is not at the expense of developing other communicative skills.
At Park, all Lower School students study Spanish beginning in Kindergarten. Students choose to continue Spanish or begin French at sixth grade; in Upper School students may elect to study Mandarin as a second language.
The Modern Language faculty functions as a school-wide department, with periodic forums for faculty from all three divisions. There is also significant collaboration with teachers from other disciplines, particularly in the Lower School.
The Position: We are seeking a full-time Lower School Spanish teacher beginning in fall 2014. There are two Spanish teachers in the Lower School, and specific grade level teaching assignments will be determined in consultation with the other Spanish teacher and the Lower School Principal. Native fluency and experience in teaching Spanish, preferably at the elementary level, are essential. Teachers from diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
The Lower School program emphasizes projects and real-life situations in which students use their emerging language skills. Students engage in music, drama, and art as they learn vocabulary and strengthen communication skills. Collaborative work on pedagogy and assessment goes on within the Lower School and with Modern Language faculty from other divisions.
Application Process: Send letter of interest, statement of educational philosophy, and resume. Please indicate whether you plan to attend any national recruitment forums. Please also indicate whether there are any special circumstances that will affect the timing of your search, availability for interviews, and decisions for the coming year.
Contact Person: Betsy Leighton, Associate Head of School The Park School 2425 Old Court Road Baltimore, MD 21208 Telephone: (410) 339-4159 Fax: (410) 339-4125 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Native fluency in Spanish
- Knowledge of Latino/Hispanic cultures, preferably from direct experience living abroad
- Teaching experience at the elementary level and commitment to working with this age group
- Orientation to an oral proficiency approach and mastery of a varied, creative array of pedagogical approaches
- Demonstrated interest in curriculum development and assessment
- Personal skills needed to work collaboratively with colleagues in a school-wide department
- Willingness to sponsor or support special modern language events
- Demonstrated ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds
Friday, February 14, 2014