- About ACTFL
- Convention & Expo
- Assessment & PD
ACTFL Award for Excellence in Foreign Language Instruction Using Technology with IALLT (K-12)
ACTFL Award for Excellence in Foreign Language Instruction Using Technology with IALLT (K-12) is presented annually to recognize excellence in the integration and use of technology in foreign language instruction at the K-12 level. These awards are the outgrowth of collaboration between ACTFL and with the International Association for Language Learning Technology (IALLT).
The recipients each receive a $500 cash award.
Criteria for Selection
- Both classroom teachers and administrators are eligible for the award.
- The recipient must be a current ACTFL member.
- The recipients must have a minimum of five years’ teaching experience.
- The recipients must submit evidence of how they have integrated the use of technology into their foreign language courses. Evidence should include objectives and specific strategies using technology that contribute to the attainment of the course goals within the framework of the National Standards for Foreign Languages. Supporting documentation may include letters from students, colleagues, school or institutional officers, and student course evaluations. This documentation may be submitted via a multimedia presentation, i.e., Power Point, a short video, a website, etc.
Procedures for Nominations
- Self-nominations are permitted and must be accompanied by a letter of support from the instructor’s school or institutional officer.
Include the following items on the online submission form:
- Nominator and nominee information.
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate (length must not exceed 10 pages).
- Evidence of the use of technology in the course, including a rationale for the use of technology and how its use helped students attain the goals of the course.
- Three (3) letters of support clearly explaining the rationale for the choice of this candidate.
- Other documentation, e.g., student course evaluations, copies of newspaper articles or other materials, as appropriate.
- No member of the ACTFL Board of Directors or Officer may write a letter of support for any award nominee or actively shepherd the nomination of an award candidate. If an application is resubmitted that contains a support letter written prior to the establishment of these guidelines, that letter will be removed from the packet by the Committee Chair.
- No member of the ACTFL Board of Directors, Officer, or contracted employee is eligible for nomination for any award while holding these positions.
- Letters of recommendation are to be sent to the person submitting the nomination so that they may be included in the complete nomination submission package.
- Submit nominations online on or before: May 28.
- Copies of all documentation pertaining to the winner sent to the ACTFL Executive Director: September 1.
- Copies of all documentation pertaining to finalist(s) returned to individual(s) who submitted them: September 1.
- Award Chairperson submits a 200-word statement on why the recipients were chosen: September 30.
- Winner submits 150-word acceptance remarks to be printed in Awards Ceremony Brochure: September 30.
For Selection Committee Members: Please visit the ACTFL Online Community for specific information.
2014: Catherine Ousselin, Mount Vernon High School; 2013: Linda Zins-Adams, Moeller High School